Being involved in a motor vehicle accident is a very traumatic experience. As a passenger it can be even more frightening, as things may be completely out of your control. There are a few things that passengers should do to ensure they receive the most out of their personal injury claim. Should these things be done, the process to recover for your damages should be seamless and stress free.
- Much like any other motor vehicle accident, should you or someone you know be involved in a motor vehicle accident, contact the police as soon as you can. It is possible there may be serious injuries you are not yet aware of due to the adrenaline rush from the wreck. Medical professionals should be on their way to you once they receive the call.
- Even if you are in the vehicle with the at-fault driver, take down all contact and insurance information for later use. This includes any other passengers or witnesses’ information as well.
- Because you are a passenger, you may not recall exactly what happened to cause the accident. However, do the best you can to recall any details leading up to, during, and following the motor vehicle accident. Details about what you saw outside of the vehicle that may have contributed to the accident, what may have been going on inside of the vehicle, and any other observations will be beneficial later on during your claim.
- Depending on how injured you are and how this motor vehicle accident has affected you personally, keep a note of all damages you are a victim of. This may be time away from work, loss of income, and medical bills. Keep any doctor notes, out-of-pocket payment receipts, photographs, statements, reports, and bills incurred. Once you consult with your attorney this will help determine what damages you can claim.
- Speak with a personal injury attorney. These attorneys specialize in your type of case and have been through many before. Sooner than later, consult with an attorney for advice on what your next step should be and to be clear on whether or not you have a case.
When you are a passenger in a motor vehicle accident, you are able to seek damages from both the insured person you rode with and the other party involved. While the process for a passenger should be smoother, you do not have to do it alone. Speak with a personal injury attorney, like a personal injury attorney in Dekalb, GA, for confirmation on what you should do next.
Thanks to the law office of Andrew R. Lynch for their insight into how to file a personal injury claim if you are a passenger in the car during an accident.